Driving the future of branding for Uber
Uber is synonymous with going places. The San Francisco-based company operates in 72 countries and makes 24 million trips per day. “Getting an Uber” has become an everyday phrase — but becoming Uber (and turning the brand’s vision into relevant messages) is where the real magic has happened. Here’s how Frontify has helped drive that journey.
Uber is synonymous with going places.The San Francisco-based company operates in 72 countries and makes 24 million trips per day. “Getting an Uber” has become an everyday phrase — but becoming Uber (and turning the brand’s vision into relevant messages) is where the real magic has happened. Here’s how Frontify has helped drive that journey.
- One snowy Parisian evening: Uber’s soon-to-be founders were stuck in the French capital and asked themselves: “What if you could request a ride simply by tapping your phone?” A year later, Uber was born and began a journey of rapid global growth.
- But that growth created a problem: As the company rapidly scaled its operations, it was proving hard to build a consistent brand that people felt emotionally connected to. How would potential customers trust a brand they knew nothing about when they could just stick to local cab services?
- Turning confusion into clarity: To continue the company’s spectacular growth, Uber realized it needed to create (and protect) a clear, distinctive brand identity that was recognizable the world over. This challenge included adapting campaign assets for local markets and maintaining cohesion across multiple brands.
- But that was no small challenge: Without a centralized approach to brand management, Uber lacked the control and visibility to coordinate a truly global effort.
Time to shift gears.
In 2021, Uber began working with Frontify. The goal was simple: to create a single space to manage its different brands — all while retaining one clear identity.
- A new kind of momentum: The Frontify platform has given Uber a single, scalable space to create branded assets and continue its impressive growth. With clear, valuable brand guidelines for all areas of work, across both digital and print, Uber can truly focus on creating with consistency and efficiency.
- And that means real change: Uber’s brand builders can use this hub to collaborate, push creativity into a new dimension, and stay culturally relevant for a globally diverse user base. Digital asset management has been an integral factor in ensuring all internal teams feel confident in accessing and engaging with brand assets.
- But that’s not all: By optimizing workflows and seamlessly integrating with Frontify’s design tools, coupled with the ability to centralize all assets, Uber’s work gets done faster.
- Accelerating speed to market: Using Frontify, Uber’s teams can efficiently adapt any assets for local audiences — while always staying on-brand. So, as the company continues to grow, Uber’s brand will stay consistent, no matter where the road may go.
Global Creative Director, Uber
The start of an exciting new journey.
“When we launched Frontify, it was almost overnight that about 2,000 people were using it,” says Shayla Love, Uber’s Senior Executive Producer. And user engagement has continued to surge.
- Today, more than 20,000 Uber brand builders have engaged with the Frontify platform globally.
- And around 12% of Uber employees are using the platform each month to create, manage, and share assets.
- As for the future? “I think we’ve only tapped into a small portion of what is provided by Frontify,” says Brian Coonce, Global Creative Director at Uber. “They have a vision of what a future brand experience is like. So that gets me pretty excited for what’s next.”
Enter a new dimension of brand guidelines.
At Frontify, we can help build a new space for your brand to live, so you push creativity to new heights and cultivate your identity exactly how you want.
Find out more here.